New Delhi: As per a recent guideline issued by the ICMR, it has allowed the utilization of Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) as a preventive medicine for healthcare and different entrance line employees deployed in non-COVID and COVID areas, respectively.
Issuing a press release to this have an effect on, it knowledgeable that the usage of HCQ will be expanded to all healthcare employees in containment zones; healthcare employees in non-COVID hospitals; the front-line employees; for police, safety forces working in containment areas and family contacts of confirmed instances.
The assessment crew comprised representatives from AIIMS, ICMR, NCDC, NDMA, WHO and specialists drawn from Central Authorities hospitals below the Chairmanship of DGHS.
The drug must be taken solely on the prescription of a registered medical practitioner and it’s suggested to seek the advice of with a doctor for any adversarial occasion or potential drug interplay earlier than initiation of medicine, the advisory additional added.
The advisory additionally issued an inventory of condsiderations to be famous, talked about beneath:
1) The drug must be given below strict medical supervision with an knowledgeable consent.
2) The drug must be given solely on the prescription of a registered medical practitioner.
3) Suggested to seek the advice of with a doctor for any adversarial occasion or potential drug interplay earlier than initiation of medicine. The contraindications talked about within the suggestions ought to strictly be adopted.
4) Well being care employees and different frontline employees on HCQ must be suggested to make use of PPE. Entrance line employees ought to use PPEs in accordance with the rules issued by this Ministry or by their respective group.
5) They need to be suggested to seek the advice of their doctor (inside their hospital/surveillance crew/safety group) for any adversarial occasion or potential drug interplay earlier than initiation of medicine. The prophylactic use of HCQ to be coupled with the pharmacovigilance for adversarial drug reactions via self-reporting utilizing the Pharmacovigilance Program of India (PvPI) helpline/app.
6) If anybody turns into symptomatic whereas on prophylaxis, he/she ought to instantly contact the well being facility, get examined as per nationwide tips and observe the usual therapy protocol. Aside from the signs of COVID-19 (fever, cough, respiration issue), if the individual on chemoprophylaxis
develops another signs, he ought to instantly search medical therapy from the prescribing medical practitioner.
7) All asymptomatic contacts of laboratory confirmed instances ought to stay in residence quarantine as per the Nationwide tips, even when they’re on prophylactic remedy.
8) Concurrently, proof of idea and pharmacokinetics research must be continued/ taken up expeditiously. Findings from these research and different new proof will information any change additional within the advice.
9) They need to observe all prescribed public well being measures akin to frequent washing of arms, respiratory etiquettes, retaining a distance of minimal 1meter and use of Private protecting gear (wherever relevant).
The drug is just not really helpful for prophylaxis in kids below 15 years of age and in being pregnant and lactation, the advisory mentioned.
Nevertheless, the advisory cautioned that the consumption of the medication shouldn’t instill a way of false safety.